The object of Maritime Forum is to:
- increase knowledge about shipping as an industry and as a mode of transportation
- communicate the possibilities and advantages of seaborne trade and transportation
- highlight the important role that shipping brings to both the Swedish society and its industry
- highlight the benefits of shipping as an interesting sector for employment and education
- stimulate openness, co-operation and discussions within the shipping cluster
The main external target groups of the promotion are politicians, decision-makers, media and young people.
The Maritime Forum is promoting intermodal transportation, short sea shipping and inland waterway transportation. The Forum is also promoting the environmental benefits of sustainable ships design, along with the efforts to reduce emissions from ships and how sea transportation can contribute to a better environment. Other important topics that the Forum promotes include: the importance of ports as economic and social hubs within Sweden, the challenges that future shipping faces along with the EU programmes such as Marco Polo and Motorways of the Sea and recruiting etc.